I have always loved my Savior, Jesus Christ. I have always believed in Him. I will admit that as a child I always looked forward to seeing what was in my Easter basket more than going to church and celebrating the true meaning of Easter. That really changed for me ten years ago when my cousin was involved in a tragic motorcycle accident that took his life. The crash was on Easter Sunday. It was without a doubt the worst Easter I've ever had, but it really was an opportunity to really put things into perspective. Although the accident was a major trial to my family, it was an amazing opportunity for me to grow and to really appreciate the atonement. I remember, years after, my aunt and grandparents going to visit Devin's grave. This trial, I feel, really catalyzed my gospel learning.
This year to prepare for Easter, I made a goal to study up on the Atonement. I read up on some of my favorite conference talks (links included below) and also read up on the last week of Christ's life as recorded in the Gospels. I feel like this made Easter especially meaningful this year. Lately, we've been watching The Bible on the History Channel. The final installment aired Sunday night so we watched that, too.
Our little family is in the stage of figuring out our own holiday traditions. While I am sure we will include egg dying and hunts, I think it would be really cool to spend the week before Easter studying up on the last week of the Savior's life in our family scripture study. I want my children to have a solid grasp on the resurrection and the Atonement. I want them to learn (at a younger age than I did) of the power of the Atonement and the strength of Christ's love for them.
Spiritual Preparation for Easter:
http://www.lds.org/general-
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/04/none-were-with-him?lang=eng
No comments:
Post a Comment